Friday 4 December 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

Giving feedback and receiving them work hand in hand. When we give feedback, we are helping the designated person to improve on himself/ herself. This is why we should be mindful of what we are saying as our words have the power to impact each individual.

When we are giving peer feedback, we should think about how our peers can benefit from them and omit out any unnecessary comments. As peers, I believed we are more than willing to give constructive feedback as we can learn from one another and help each other to grow. Grades may play a very important part but we should not forgo about the learning process as progressing together is what makes the process worthwhile. When our tutor is giving feedback, he is giving his advice on a professional level. This is different from a peer's feedback as the feedback from tutor is meant for correcting and giving us a wider scope of how our assignments can be done.

However, giving and receiving feedback are different. When we are receiving feedback, we should take everything with a pinch of salt. In the case where the comments received are not what we would like to hear, we should stay open minded and strive to do even better for the next time round. How well can we accept those feedback will depend mostly on our attitudes. Life is a constant learning learning process and bettering yourself so we should see feedback as opportunities to learn. 

I like feedback because it goes to show that I have things I can improve on. Whenever I received feedback, it would get me thinking naturally. For example, I am being corrected for my use of some vocabulary words. I would immediately google for the meaning behind those words, and wonder if I had applied them correctly or not. It makes me triple check my work whenever I am about to do a submission as I am conscious of how my peers and tutor will find it. The skills learnt in Effective Communication module will definitely be brought over to other modules because those skills allow us to think and write more effectively for any report.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yan Yan,

    We truly have the power to impact someone with words. What we say might either be dust or gold. Adding on, I can see that you agree with the current system and that peer feedback is essential in receiving different perspectives.

    I like your open mindedness as it allows oneself to see every situation as an opportunity to learn.

    Cheers!
    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Yan Yan, for this careful critical reflection. I really like so much about this: the way you state that words have power, the way you compare tutor and peer feedback, the way you compare giving and receiving feedback. All in all this is a smart discussion. Of course, the best aspect of this is that it shows that you truly understand the value of such feedback.

    I'm very happy that this experience was a positive one for you.

    ReplyDelete